Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Credit Crunch Hits Corrie

4 posters

Go down

Credit Crunch Hits Corrie Empty Credit Crunch Hits Corrie

Post by Lou Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:26 am

The Sun wrote:ROVERS Return legend Bev Callard has had her pay packet slashed by 40 per cent — as the credit crunch hits even Coronation Street.

The actress, who plays landlady Liz McDonald in the ITV1 soap, is said to be fuming over the whopping cut.

Bev, 51, left, has even been forced to cancel her wedding to fiancé Jon McEwan, 43, after a new deal was thrashed out which means the loyal star will be paid only per episode.

She currently pockets just over £120,000-a-year — but may miss out on a potential £50,000 annually.

The star initially thought she would be fine in her role as the Rovers boss — as she appears in so many scenes.

But her new contract states Bev gets only a minimum rate for scenes which just see her pouring pints and bantering with regulars.

To earn the big bucks, Bev needs Liz to get bigger storylines and be on-screen all the time.

A source close to the star told TV Biz: “Bev’s really shocked by just how hard times are on Corrie. She’s not the only star facing bad news, but she’s been hit the hardest so far.

“Bev’s a businesswoman and hasn’t had the easiest time. While she understands the problems bosses face, it’s making life very difficult.”

Bev is also a landlady in real life. She runs a pub in the Manchester area with Jon — but is reportedly battling debts of £218,000. While her boozer in Hale continues to make money, Bev has had to sell both her £390,000 home and her first pub, The White Horse.

Bev blames PM Gordon Brown for the financial crisis, saying: “It’s tough for real people running their own businesses and I want the Government to take note of that.”

Other Street stars are bracing themselves for similar knocks.

The insider added: “Contracts come up for renewal at different times. Characters with less air-time are really going to struggle.”
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Credit Crunch Hits Corrie Empty Re: Credit Crunch Hits Corrie

Post by HiJo Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:09 am

If she pockets £120000 a year and still cant manage she should be ashamed. She's trying to act like "one of the people" but most of us have to get by on a lot less than that.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:31 am

I'd love to be struggling on £120k a year Rolling Eyes

I ca understand in a way how she'd be upset. There aren't many industries that can get away with giving people pay cuts.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by louastra Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:51 am

It is a huge cut, I would be annoyed too.
louastra
louastra
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Number of posts : 622

Back to top Go down

Credit Crunch Hits Corrie Empty More pay cuts in the offing

Post by Lou Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:08 am

A group of veteran Coronation Street stars have been told to expect massive pay cuts, according to a report.

Betty Driver (Betty Williams), Barbara Knox (Rita Sullivan), Malcolm Hebden (Norris Cole) and Eileen Derbyshire (Emily Bishop) will start to be paid on a scene-by-scene basis within the next few weeks, the Sunday Mirror claims.

The cast members currently receive between £180,000 and £250,000 per year. However, under the new arrangement, the stars' pay rates would only reach their former levels when the actors are involved in high-profile storylines.

An insider told the newspaper: "It's an absolute disgrace. These stars have given their heart and soul to Corrie over the years. None of them expect to be - or have the energy to be - at the centre of huge ratings-busting plots.

"Betty's nearly 90, Eileen and Barbara are in their 70s and Malcolm Hebden is 68. Instead of being rewarded for their contribution, they are being treated little better than extras."

A Coronation Street spokeswoman confirmed: "It is the season when a lot of the older stars will start negotiations for next year. But we do not discuss artists' payments or contracts."

The news follows reports that Bev Callard, better known as Liz MacDonald on the soap, is facing a 40% salary cut.

Flipping heck, Betty is nearly 90 affraid She looks bloody good for her age, I wouldnt have said she was over 80, probably more like late 70's
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:53 am

It's hard to believe anyone would think a soap actor is worth £120g a year. As for being "rewarded for their contribution" I'd say their pay is reward enough. I'd be delirious with half that reward and they could treat me like an extra if they wanted. :thumbs:
Sally
Sally
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1215
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down