Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New GNR

Go down

New GNR Empty New GNR

Post by Lou Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:19 am

GUNS N’ ROSES’ first album of new material in 17 years makes QUEEN at their extravagant peak sound like a choir of monks

I’ve had a listen to the long overdue Chinese Democracy and can confirm it’s one of the most unashamedly over-the-top rock records ever.

It is so lavish that even the contribution of Queen’s BRIAN MAY, a scorching guitar solo, was left on the cutting room floor by mastermind AXL ROSE.

The poodle-haired guitarist told me: “It is a shame. I put quite a lot of work in and was proud of it.

“But I could understand if Axl wants to have an album which reflects the work of the members of the band as it is right now.”

The CD, out on November 24, has taken on mythical status. I didn’t think it would see the light of day.

But the band’s manager, ANDY GOULD, explained: “When they asked MICHELANGELO to paint the Sistine Chapel they didn’t say, ‘Can you do it in the fourth quarter?’

“Great art sometimes takes time.” I’m inclined to agree. The album is heavy in places but also shows Rose’s vulnerable side.

Stormers Shackler’s Revenge and Scraped, with Axl howling: “Don’t you try and stop us now, cos I won’t let you”, and berserk thrash-metal track Riad N’ The Bedouins, will please headbangers.

On the other hand, Street Of Dreams, with its sweeping strings and tinkling pianos, could have featured on THE BEATLES’ classic album Abbey Road.

Soppy ballad If The World sounds like a vintage Bond theme.

The most startling offering, This I Love, is like a 19th Century waltz while Sorry could be the ultimate power ballad.

Chinese Democracy is lavish, ludicrous...and quite brilliant.

No one else on the planet is making music like this at the moment and label Universal are so confident that they have pressed an unprecedented three million copies ahead of the CD’s release.

The fact Axl is the only one left from the original line-up won’t stop it flying off the shelves.

But there’s one place you won’t be able to buy the record — it’s already been banned in China.

GnR would have to go down as my all time favourite group. There are loads of others I like, but very few as consistently as GnR
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum