Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eastenders Defends Violence

3 posters

Go down

Eastenders Defends Violence Empty Eastenders Defends Violence

Post by Lou Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:55 am

DS wrote:The BBC has defended the use of violent scenes in Thursday night's edition of EastEnders following complaints from viewers.

The episode, which went out in a pre-watershed slot, saw Jase Dyer (Stephen Lord) lose his life following a confrontation with a group of gangsters who stabbed him. Later, the character's dead body was seen by viewers in hospital scenes which featured Jase's son Jay Brown, played by Jamie Borthwick.

Writing on the BBC's Points of View message board, one viewer complained: "EastEnders tonight was disgusting. My wife was physically sick and my son of 13 years old was brought to tears."

Another viewer defended the soap's producers, however, arguing: "I never read such nonsense. This is what Britain is like today and if you can't face up to that then someone must."

Responding to complaints, the BBC said: "While we acknowledge that this was a particularly dramatic episode, we were very careful to make sure that any actual violence was implied rather than explicit, and it was made clear from the outset that Jase's life was in serious jeopardy."

The statement added: "We do appreciate that some viewers found the images of Jase's dead body uncomfortable; however, in trying to fully convey Jay's loss and depth of emotion, we felt it was necessary for viewers to see what he was seeing."

Ofcom has already rebuked the BBC over EastEnders twice this year. In February, the media regulator ruled that scenes showing a gang attack at the Queen Vic were too violent. Four months later, the soap was rapped again following "disturbing" scenes which saw Max Branning (Jake Wood) being buried alive.

While everyone has a right to complain, there was no gratuitous violence, and if the guy's wife was physically sick god help her if she ever goes out into the real world.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Eastenders Defends Violence Empty Re: Eastenders Defends Violence

Post by louastra Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:43 am

I thought it was very mild compared to some scenes you see on other soaps.
louastra
louastra
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Eastenders Defends Violence Empty Re: Eastenders Defends Violence

Post by HiJo Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:36 pm

Physically sick? I find that hard to believe. Rolling Eyes
HiJo
HiJo