Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War Veterans

3 posters

Go down

War Veterans Empty War Veterans

Post by Lou Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:39 pm

I've just been watching the ITV news, which showed the last 3 veterans from WWI (earlier in the week I mistakenly thought there was only one, from not reading a BBC report properly). They were amazing, the youngest was 108, the eldest 112 and talking to kids in school who were only 12.

It really annoys me when sports people are heralded as 'heroes', because these people are the true heroes, people who put their lives on the line for others. Not people who kick a ball around a pitch and get paid vast amounts of money for it.

Its just a pity the country is in the state it is, all their sacrifices were just in vain Sad
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

War Veterans Empty Re: War Veterans

Post by lulu Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:58 pm

My uncle died aged 20 fighting in WW1. We went over to Belgium earlier this year to retrace his journey. I don't know if anyone has been watching My family at war, co-incidentally Mathew Kelly was retracing the steps of his great uncle. There could be a possibility that they were in the same trenches and could have known each other.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:22 am

They were just young lads, wern't they? When you see some of the yobs today and think boys that age were fighting for their lives and for a cause, they seem to be from a different planet. Crying or Very sad
Sally
Sally
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1215
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: