Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lunch Break Paramedic Criticised

2 posters

Go down

Lunch Break Paramedic Criticised Empty Lunch Break Paramedic Criticised

Post by Lou Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:06 am

A paramedic has been criticised for not cutting short a break to help a woman who had suffered a heart attack.

Catherine Cowie, 50, died two days after collapsing in Fraserburgh.

An ambulance technician was on the scene within four minutes, but a paramedic did not attend with him because he was on a lunch break.

Some cardiac drugs can only be administered by a paramedic. The Scottish Ambulance Service said staff could not be disturbed during breaks.

However, it said staff could choose whether or not to attend calls during break periods.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7629268.stm

I dont think it should be the paramedic who is criticised, it should be the health authority for not having enough staff on duty. The paramedic is entitled to his break, and its all well and good saying he could have took it later, he might not have had the chance later, my sister as a nurse often works 12 hrs shifts with no breaks. Or he might have needed to eat before falling ill himself.

The health authority should ensure there is cover for paramedics on breaks.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Lunch Break Paramedic Criticised Empty Re: Lunch Break Paramedic Criticised

Post by HiJo Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:49 am

The woman's family should sue the health board. It won't bring her back, but the threat of losing money every time this happens might make those in charge think again. It's terrible to think something like this can happen in this day and age.

As for the paramedic, I'm sure he was within his rights to take a break. But for anyone in that job to say "I'm not attending this emergency, I'm having me lunch" makes me think he'd be better suited to a career where lives aren't depending on him. I'd be furious with him if it was my mum.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:10 am

I think most paramedics would. Or they would have a few years ago, but I think their working conditions are so bad now, they're just saying enough is enough and they are having to put their collective foot down somewhere.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down