Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dando murder

2 posters

Go down

Dando murder Empty Dando murder

Post by HiJo Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:31 am

Barry George was cleared at the Old Bailey after eight years of trying to prove he did not kill television presenter Jill Dando.
George, 48, was found not guilty of murder after his second trial and two appeals.
George, an epileptic with mental disability, was originally found guilty of murder in 2001.
His first appeal was rejected but a second appeal, in November last year, resulted in the conviction being quashed and a retrial ordered.

The second trial began on June 9 this year, with the judge ruling out evidence that a single particle of firearms discharge residue was found in the pocket of George's coat.
The judge, Mr Justice Griffith Williams, was told that the speck, although of the same type as found on the victim, could have come from other sources.
A jury of eight women and four men rejected the prosecution case that George was the killer who shot Miss Dando, 37, through the head on her doorstep in Fulham, west London.
Now police face the embarrassing task of renewing the search for the gunman nine years after the popular Crimewatch presenter was murdered in April 1999.
George showed no reaction as the verdict was read out. His sister Michelle Diskin, who was also sitting in court, punched the air and cried "yes".
George is expected to be released and walk free from the Old Bailey.

Shocked So who killed Jill Dando then?
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Dando murder Empty Re: Dando murder

Post by Lou Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:03 pm

I doubt that we'll ever know. Barry George should never have been prosecuted in the first place, any chance the police had disappeared when they stopped looking then.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:13 pm

The more I hear about Barry George, the more I'm glad this horrible disgusting perv was off the streets for 7 years. Maybe he didn't kill Jill Dando, but he was stalking another woman at the time and he's also a rapist. It's just too bad that the trail has gone cold now and unless some new evidence turns up the real killer will get away with it. But the very idea of giving something like half a million pounds to the likes of Barry George, it's obscene. I'm sure his sister's very pleased her "innocent" brother is now free, but she'd do better to keep her mouth shut. Evil or Very Mad
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:26 pm

I was just reading this bit earlier on the BBC

The Times newspaper says Barry George could get £1m. Is that correct?

Well I don't see anything in the Times story that justifies that headline of £1m.

There is to be a cap introduced in due course, not before October, which will limit it to £1m if you have served more than 10 years in prison, and limit it to £500,000 if you have served less than 10 years in prison, as Barry George did.

But it is worked out really according to loss of earnings, and Barry George wouldn't have earned a great deal if he had not gone to prison.

On the other hand the effect on him of going to prison, because of his mental difficulties, may be greater than somebody else would have suffered, and so that would be another factor to be taken into account.

It has to be assessed by an independent assessor who advises the lord chancellor.
So he might not get that much. Its Jill Dandos family you have to feel sorry for, they've done nothing wrong, yet the police and the justice system have let them down badly, but they wont be compensated.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:12 am

If they take into account the effect prison has on someone like Barry George because of his low IQ they should also take into account that he is a sexual predator and let all the factors be considered before they reach a decision.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down