Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Octuplets

2 posters

Go down

Octuplets Empty Octuplets

Post by Lou Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:46 am

A US woman has given birth to eight babies, becoming just the second person recorded in the US to have delivered a set of living octuplets.

The six boys and two girls, who were nine weeks premature, were delivered by Caesarean section in the hospital in Los Angeles, California.

The babies weighed in at between 1lb 8 ounces (820g) and 3lb 4oz (1.47kg) and are all said to be doing well.

They were screaming and kicking around very vigorously, a doctor said.

The mother, whose identity has not been revealed, has asked that limited information be released about the births.

Medical team describe a 'successful' delivery

A hospital spokeswoman described the deliveries, which took place in the space of five minutes, as "truly amazing".

The medical team had scheduled a Caesarean section for seven babies, but doctors were surprised when an eighth came out.

"Lo and behold, after we got to Baby G, which is what we expected, we were surprised by Baby H," said Dr Karen Maples.

Three of the babies needed help breathing, but all were otherwise doing well, a doctor said.

The babies will be in incubators for at least six weeks and the mother is planning to breast feed them all, the hospital officials said.

'Just enjoy it'

The world's first live-born set of octuplets were delivered in Houston, Texas, in 1998.

One baby died about a week later - but the surviving children celebrated their 10th birthday in December.

Their Nigerian-born mother, Nkem Chukwu, said the new parents had much to look forward to, the Associated Press agency reported.

"Just enjoy it. It's a blessing, truly a blessing," Mrs Chukwu was quoted as saying. "We'll keep praying for them."

Gawd, one at a time is bad enough Laughing

Breast feed them all Shocked I wouldn't have thought the human body would produce enough milk for eight at a time.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Octuplets Empty Re: Octuplets

Post by HiJo Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Nor would I, she's going to have to draft in a team of wet nurses Shocked . They seem to be very coy about whether fertility drugs were used or not. Good luck to them, I do hope they all survive and don't have any health problems.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:56 am

The mother already had SIX children and is now mum to fourteen. I don't know what criteria was applied when they decided she needed fertility treatment, but it's a disgrace. Evil or Very Mad
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:57 am

I hadn't realised she already had children No

According to what I was reading the father is rarely about and the grandfather is having to return to Iraq to work to raise money for their upkeep.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down