Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Bulger-A Mother's Story

3 posters

Go down

James Bulger-A Mother's Story Empty James Bulger-A Mother's Story

Post by lulu Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:09 am

This is on ITV1 tonight at 9.This year James would have been 18.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

James Bulger-A Mother's Story Empty Re: James Bulger-A Mother's Story

Post by Lou Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:29 am

Thanks Lulu, I've set that to record. I'd forgotten about it being on :thumbs:
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Gosh what a powerful programme Sad

I've actually read a lot more of what actually happened to James in a book by the criminal psychologist who worked with the police to profile and question the boys. But even though the details in the book were graphic, nothing hits home as much as seeing those images from the CCTV. It still makes me cry, god only knows how Denise Bulger copes.

You can understand her frustration at the pitiful sentence that they served, but then in the back of your mind you're still thinking, they were only boys and people change so much at that age. But then you're back to poor James never had the chance to change so why should they.

Such an awful thing at the time, and Denise Bulger was absolutely right, everyone knows James (or the name James Bulger), its time the name was synonymous with something good, not as a warning to parents to be careful.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:37 pm

I haven't watched it yet. I know I'll find it upsetting. I know everyone will have their own opinion of these boys, but the simple truth is they were only 10 years old and should have been in school. They had obviously been badly let down by their parents, that's where social services come in. When children are allowed to become feral it often ends in tragedy, in this case for poor little Jamie.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:44 pm

I didn't see it but I can't feel the slightest sympathy for the killers. They may have been children and lead bleak lives themselves, but what they did to that baby was too awful for words. They inflicted terrible pain on him and that's just crossing the line between being abused and neglected children never taught right from wrong and being downright wicked and sadistic. Lets not forget, it wasn't a spontaneous action. They set out to take a little child away, so young boys or not their behaviour was utterly chilling. Most people, even young children, can show compassion to others. Those two hadn't a shred of it.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:45 pm

I agree that what they did was wicked and sadistic, and I really am not making excuses for them, but you say most people, even young children can show compassion to others. Where does this compassion come from? Are we born with it , or do we learn it? If we learn it, surely if we are not shown any ourselves how then can we show it to others?
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:23 pm

In my opinion, we're born with it Lulu. It's what stops most abused children from going on to become abusers themselves. I don't think compassion can be taught, in the way respect for others can be taught. I think compassion is something you either have or you don't.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:20 pm

I am reading Damaged by Cathy Glass at the moment . This 7 year old girl has been raped by her father and her uncle, and been photographed by her mother and her aunt. This little girl is offensive, obnoxious, aggressive,and such is her distress, she has almost shut down to the outsideworld. How can she feel compassion? Nobody has shown her any. She is a very angry child, and rightly so.Sometimes parents are responsible for their childrens lack of compassion.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:06 pm

I have to sit one the fence with this one. During my criminology studies we went through all the reasons why people commit crimes and TBH when I heard all the biological reasons, I thought 'yup they all make sense, it must definitely be something we're born with', but then when you go through the sociological and psychological reasons I thought the same thing there as well.

Over all I think its a lethal combination of all 3, childhood abuse might be one factor, but I think they need a predisposition to violence/criminality to start with and the abuse pushes them over the line.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down