Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Brave Girl

2 posters

Go down

A Brave Girl Empty A Brave Girl

Post by Lou Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 pm

let down by the Justice System in this country Sad Well not only her, but the other two girls as well. She is very brave to speak out, I hope those vile people that screamed abuse at her are hanging their heads in shame Evil or Very Mad

Chloe O'Neill, who has waived her right to anonymity, was 15 when she was assaulted by the father of a friend.

Stephen Whitworth, 41, from Bury, Greater Manchester, was arrested but not charged because it was decided police had insufficient evidence against him.

He was finally brought to justice only because he carried out two more sexual assaults in April this year. He pleaded guilty to the two later sexual assaults and to raping Chloe.

A judge at Bolton Crown Court has now jailed him for eight years for the two assaults and two for raping Chloe. The sentences will run concurrently.

The teenager, now aged 17, believes Whitworth's other victims might have been spared their ordeals had the allegation she made against him proceeded to court.

She says her life fell apart in the years after he attacked her in his home. As well as seeing him retain his liberty, she found herself branded "a liar" and "a grass".

She said: "For two years of my life I went through hell. When he attacked me I was just 15 and so scared.

"He told me not to go to police and I was worried he would do it again or hurt my family. But one night I told my mum and she told the police but he was allowed to go free.

"When he was released I was so scared again. I was worried he would go on and do it again and again. I had people calling me a liar, a grass and all sorts of other names.

"I'm just pleased he has now been jailed, though he only got two years for raping me and that is not enough. I just wish I had seen him being sentenced".

Chloe, who is now estranged from her parents and living with her sister, went on: "It hit us all hard and I couldn't concentrate on anything.

"I'm attending counselling, which is helping to get it off my chest, but it is difficult.

"I want to try to get a job but at the minute I'm not in the right frame of mind.

"I just want a normal life like other girls. I would love to work in animal care on day".

Chloe says that at the time of the rape she felt too intimidated by Whitworth to complain to police.

Detectives were only called in a month later when she broke the news of the attack to her mother.

Chloe, who now lives in Eccles, Greater Manchester, said: “I wanted to speak out to encourage other women to come forward.

”He was able to go and commit those assaults while he was out and I feel sick that he was able to do that.

”I got called a slag and a dirty, slovenly person and had people screaming at me, calling me a grass.

”It was horrible and at the time it was really scary. I’ve been through two years of hell because of what he did to me. I’ve had to suffer knowing that he gave me STIs. I felt dirty and used.”

Chloe was raped in August 2006. Whitworth was her best friend’s father and she was babysitting for him on the night of the attack.

In carrying out the rape he gave her with two sexually transmitted infections.

Whitworth carried out the two other attacks in February. He was sentenced for those in April and brought back to court to be sentenced for the rape on September 12.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

A Brave Girl Empty Re: A Brave Girl

Post by HiJo Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Thank God he's been found guilty. The thought of him getting away with it :wall:

I wonder why the girl's estranged from her family though. That's a shame cos if ever you needed your mum it's when something like this happens. Crying or Very sad
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down