Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lockerbie bomber to be released

3 posters

Go down

Lockerbie bomber  to be released Empty Lockerbie bomber to be released

Post by lulu Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:31 pm

There are plans to return this guy to Libya on compassionate grounds because of terminal illness. In 2001 he was sentenced to 27 years in jail for planting a bomb on a Pan-Am jet which exploded over Lockerbie in 1988 killing 270 people. There are serious doubts that this man is guilty, some say that the Americans wanted someone/anyone to be convicted, and he was the scapegoat. I say that if he is guilty then he should serve his time in this country, if he is not guilty then those that made him a scapegoat have a lot to answer for.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Lockerbie bomber  to be released Empty Re: Lockerbie bomber to be released

Post by Lou Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:57 am

I have to say I think he was a scapegoat, but everything has been so covered up that I don't think the truth will ever be told.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:22 pm

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. If he didn't do it, he knows who did yet he's kept his mouth shut. Terminal or not, he should not leave prison. If he's innocent, there's every chance he's keeping quiet to protect his family. In that case, he'll just have to serve his sentence. I would be furious if I'd lost someone at Lockerbie and then this man got out of jail just a few short years after being convicted.

Compassion should extend to keeping him out of pain, which is more than he did for the people he murdered. God knows what went through their minds in the minutes after the explosion. Crying or Very sad
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:51 pm

But if you had lost someone, wouldn't you be more upset that the real killers had got away with it, and this man's family have been just as devastated and are probably living in fear everyday?

I'm not saying he's definitely innocent, but if he is then I do think he deseves sympathy, he may not know who did it. These sorts of people just pick anyone to be their scapegoat, anyone who they can blackmail that is, with threats to their families.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:20 pm

I agree Lou, I would want the person/people responsible in jail not a scapegoat.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:54 pm

But the man is known to be a Libyan spy, so he's no innocent whether he did this or not. I don't know how involved he is but I just don't believe he knows nothing about who (else?) is responsible. I just can't feel sympathy for him, I save my sympathy for the people who lost their sons, daughters, mums, dads, brothers, sisters, etc. If he' s acting as a scapegoat to protect his family, then let him. He's lied to the court and in doing so he has helped to cover up who else is responsible, so let him pay the price.

I also believe that if he is allowed to go home, it's nothing to do with justice or compassion, just economics.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: