Justice in Yemen

Go down

Justice in Yemen Empty Justice in Yemen

Post by HiJo on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:53 pm

The pictures in today's paper of the criminal being executed in Yemen were definitely shocking. But, really, should we have any sympathy for a man who raped and murdered an 11-year-old boy? The only question appears to be "did he have a fair trial" and the answer is "probably not", by UK standards anyway where we bend over backwards to protect the rights of the accused. Apparently he confessed to the crime but I suppose we have no way of knowing for sure, because that same country inflicts the death penalty on people convicted of far lesser crimes. Adultery, for a start.

It looks like all or nothing, you either execute at random or you treat all sorts of scum with kid gloves. Is there no middle way? Evil or Very Mad
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Justice in Yemen Empty Re: Justice in Yemen

Post by Lou on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:58 pm

I haven't seen the stories in the paper. But if he has raped and murdered an 11 year old then I have no sympathy at all.

I don't know what the Yemen is like TBH, whether they beat confessions out of people or not. But then people look at Japan a being a 'civilised' country, because they have a 95% conviction rate, or somewhere about that, the figures were a few years old. But they are known to beat prisoners, and threaten the prisoners families with being ostracised and thrown onto the street if they don't confess. So a huge percentage are in prison claiming they only confessed to save their family.

So it doesn't seem like anywhere has a foolproof justice system at all.

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:14 am

I agree with Lou's final comment. It all seems to simple to me, we should honour the "innocent until proved guilty" but when found guilty we really need tougher sentences. As a Christian I deplore the death penalty, I would say anyone found guilty of rape and murder of anyone has forfeited the right to a life of their own. Not death, but locked up for the rest of their life.
Sally
Sally
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1215
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down