Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paramedic

4 posters

Go down

Paramedic Empty Paramedic

Post by HiJo Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:56 am

A 999 patient died after an ambulance driver diverted to the depot instead of going to hospital - because he had over-run his shift.
The driver complained to a colleague that he was 15 minutes past the end of his duty and wanted to clock off.
The News of the World reported that he got out of the ambulance without even telling his replacement there was a critically sick case being tended by another medic in the back.
The new driver headed to the hospital as quickly as he could - but the detour had added half a mile to the journey.

The patient, who had suffered a stroke, deteriorated during the drive and died of a suspected heart attack soon after arriving at A&E.
The driver, a paramedic, and the medic who was in the back, an advanced technician, have since been suspended as health chiefs investigate the delay.
Ambulance controllers took a call about the patient, who lived just three miles from North Tees Hospital in Stockton, Teesside, at 3.52pm on May 18.
The crew were alerted to a Category A life-threatening incident and arrived at his home at 3.57pm.
After assessing the 69-year-old man they left for the hospital at 4.13pm - for a journey taking around 10 minutes.
Instead the driver headed to his depot where he got out with the patient remaining in the back of the ambulance with the technician until the new driver took the wheel. The vehicle then left the depot and arrived at the hospital at 4.27pm.

Doesn't this make your hair stand on end? It's bad enough when sick and injured people die after being passed by strangers in the street, but for it to happen with a paramedic who was in the middle of taking care of you and decided to take a break, it's terrifying. If it's true they should lose their jobs, and they should also be sued by the patient's family.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Paramedic Empty Re: Paramedic

Post by Lou Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:25 am

OMG, that's disgusting! How many people in not vital jobs work 20, 30 minutes past their shift because they are in the middle of something, never mind people in life saving positions No

It's awful to think that someone would put 10 minutes of their free time above the life of another human being.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:48 pm

Isn't it frightening and disheartening that these so called health care professionals care so little for the people they serve. In my job, if something happens on my shift I deal with it. If it means I have to stay late to do the paperwork , then that's just the way it is.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:54 am

I could almost cry reading this. How callous would you have to be, banging on about your rights to finish your shift on time?
Sally
Sally
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1215
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down