Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beachy Head

3 posters

Go down

Beachy Head Empty Beachy Head

Post by HiJo Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:21 am

A grieving couple who placed the body of their dead son in a rucksack before plunging to their deaths from cliffs at Beachy Head have been named.
Neil Puttick, 34, from Westbury in Wiltshire, died alongside his Japanese wife Kazumi, 44.
Their son, Samuel, aged five, had been seriously ill and was discharged from hospital on Friday after being given no hope of survival.
A spokesman for Bath and North East Somerset NHS said: "Samuel Puttick had been receiving treatment for pneumococcal meningitis at the Paediatric Intensive Children's Unit at Bristol Royal Hospital for Children.

"When it became clear that Sam had no hope of recovery from his severe infection, he was discharged to his family home on Friday at his parents' request to die peacefully. He was certified dead at his home by a doctor at approximately 8pm that evening.
"We offer our sincere condolences to the relatives and friends of this family. It would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage as the matter will be the subject of an extensive investigation and coroner's inquest."
Detective Inspector Ian Williams from Sussex Police said: "As a result of our investigation I am satisfied that Samuel's grieving parents Neil and Kazumi appear to have taken their own lives. This is a tragic incident and we extend our sympathies to their family and to the large number of friends and carers affected."
Samuel's body was found in a rucksack about 400ft down the notorious suicide spot, near Eastbourne, East Sussex, alongside his parents' bodies. A second rucksack found by rescuers nearby was filled with toys.
A silver Volkswagen camper van found abandoned in a car park nearby was also recovered and is undergoing forensic examination.
At more than 500ft high, Beachy Head is renowned for its downland beauty but it has also gained infamy as a magnet for suicidal people.

How sad is this?

At first, I thought it was just more selfish parents who'd decided to end their own lives and take their child with them. They must have been out of their minds with grief. No

Isn't it time something was done to keep people away from Beachy Head? I don't know how anyone can still see this as a beauty spot, it's got death hanging over it like a cloud. I don't want a nanny state, but this is getting ridiculous, the number of people who kill themselves there. It needs security guards or a 12 foot electrified fence running a mile in each direction, and to hell with spoiling the view. I know the truly suicidal will find another way, but there must be some who, when thwarted, give it some more thought and decide to get help.

At the very least, we need to protect whoever it is that scrapes these people off the ground at the foot of the cliffs. What a horrible job.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Beachy Head Empty Re: Beachy Head

Post by Lou Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:10 am

What a shame Sad Like you I thought it was just selfish parents, but what a sad, sad story.

The news report I saw said there were an average of 20 suicides a year there, something should be done about it.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:27 pm

what a sad story. Sadly, if someone is determined to end their life they will find a way , but I agree that some sort of barrier should be used at Beachy Head to discourage people. I really feel for the people who have to deal with the bodies. It must affect them. no matter how many times they have been in that situation.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: