Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Child left an orphan

4 posters

Go down

Child left an orphan Empty Child left an orphan

Post by Lou Mon May 11, 2009 6:34 am

A couple have been swept to their deaths after jumping into a fast-flowing river to rescue their dogs in Scotland.

Laura Frey, 30, and her partner Darren Greenan, 33, had been walking along the bank of the River Garnock inKilwinning, Ayrshire, with their baby daughter in a pram.

The pair, from the Blacklands area of Kilwinning, are thought to have been walking up to three dogs.

They are thought to have entered the fast-flowing currents to try to help after the dogs got into trouble.

Two of the family pets have been found dead in the water.

Ms Frey was rescued by firefighters after the alarm was raised while a major police and Coastguard search was launched for her partner.

Strathclyde Police said Ms Frey died at Crosshouse Hospital in Kilmarnock.

A body believed to be that of Mr Greenan has been recovered near where the incident happened.

Coastguards said the river was swollen after heavy rain in recent days.

A police statement said: "At around 10.15am the body of a male, thought to be 33-year-old Darren Greenan, was recovered from the River Garnock near to the site of the initial incident.

"Formal identification will take place in due course.

"Sadly, the 30-year-old woman, Laura Frey, who was rescued from the water yesterday and was taken to Crosshouse Hospital for treatment, died last night."

I know people love their pets, but I find this completely ridiculous. The poor baby has been left an orphan because the parents put the dogs welfare first Evil or Very Mad
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Child left an orphan Empty Re: Child left an orphan

Post by lulu Mon May 11, 2009 12:39 pm

This is such a sad story. I understand what you're saying Lou, pets should never come before a child, but as a life-long animal lover myself I think it would be very difficult not to act in the same way as this couple.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 pm

I think you're being too harsh Lou because I'm sure the couple had no intention of giving up their lives for their pets. I agree with Lulu, I couldn't have just stood by and watched my dogs drown. It's a tragedy.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou Mon May 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Oh I know they had no intention of leaving their child an orphan. But common sense would surely tell you no to leave a baby in a pram on its own anyway, if one wanted to go in fair enough (bloody stupid still), but two!!
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu Mon May 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Did they leave the baby on her own? I certainly wouldn't have done. But I am soft when it comes to my pets, so even though I can't swim I still would have tried to rescue them.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou Tue May 12, 2009 2:04 am

Well it said they were out walking with the baby in a push chair, and that someone passing by spotted them in trouble. So I can only assume they left the baby alone, otherwise it would have said the person minding the baby raised the alarm.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Tue May 12, 2009 2:38 pm

I probably would have thought twice about leaving a baby alone in a pushchair next to a river. Maybe they just panicked? Maybe one did stay with the baby but saw the other getting into difficulties and waded in to save him or her, rather than the dogs? I suppose we'll never know. It's very sad.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou Tue May 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Actually my dad heard some extra info on the radio that said, the father jumped in and got into trouble, so the mother jumped in to save him not the dogs, which puts a slightly different slant on it.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Thu May 14, 2009 3:01 am

It does put a different slant on it. I've heard they've got three or four other children between them from past relationships, so it makes it even more sad.
Sally
Sally
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1215
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: