Review after baby death

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Review after baby death

Post by Lou on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:02 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7723042.stm

The death of a 17-month-old boy after months of abuse, despite him being on an at-risk register, has sparked a review of child protection in England.

It comes as two men were found guilty of causing his death in August 2007.

The boy, from Haringey, north London, suffered 50 injuries, and the case has revealed a series of failings by social workers, health workers and police.

The case is described as worse than that of Victoria Climbie, who was murdered in Haringey in 2000.

I know the picture on the link is just a computer generated mock up, but its awful to think the poor baby actually looked like that Crying or Very sad

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Review after baby death

Post by lulu on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:42 pm

I can't believe it's been 8 years since the death of Victoria Climbie. "this must not be allowed to happen again." we were told at the time, but we all knew it would..60 visits over 8 months? Shame on them all for allowing this to happen. All professionals involved in this case have to live with the decisions they have made.
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:24 am

lulu wrote:I can't believe it's been 8 years since the death of Victoria Climbie.
I was surprised at that, it doesnt seem that long ago at all.

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:38 am

The social workers should be sacked and so should the doctor who examined the baby without noticing his broken ribs and fractured spine. The senior social worker who believed every word the baby's mother said, and was more concerned about the adults in the house than that poor child, should never work in that field again as she is obviously far too trusting and gullible. Not to mention stupid.

And again we're told "lessons will be learned". Course they will. Evil or Very Mad

That old line about "Save a London child. Kill a social worker" has never been more relevant.
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:35 am

HiJo wrote:That old line about "Save a London child. Kill a social worker" has never been more relevant.

I've never heard that before, but I can understand why people would feel that way.

I know social workers have a hard job, and there arent enough of them to go around, but this was just plain negligence, someone not doing the job they're paid to do.

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:55 am

If I caused injury or death through negligence in my place of work, I know for a fact that I would end up in court and possibly prison. Those evil b******s were allowed to carry on making that poor child's life hell on earth , when they could and should have been stopped many months before. Poor little mite being born to a twisted bitch like that. Makes my blood boil.
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:20 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7726103.stm

I'm not a fan of David Cameron or the Tories, but I am glad he stood up for Baby P and got the extra publicity it needed to get the government moving on this.

What I cant understand is why they cant be named, is there another child involved? If not who are they protecting, certainly not baby P, he's already dead and it feels like his name is being kept from the public like some dirty little secret Sad
And it certainly shouldnt be to protect the scum that did it, they should be named and housed in the general population Mad

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:24 am

I was directed toward this case while talking about Baby P on another website.

The Uk aren't the only country suffering this horrible phenomenon

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,419396,00.html

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:04 am

Something else that bothers me about the London case, Baby P's biological father is demanding answers. He wants to know how his little boy could suffer in that way when Social Services already knew he was at risk. But where was Daddy during the past seventeen months? :wall:
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:41 am

Very good question. If he saw the poor mite he should have noticed the bruises etc. If he wasnt seeing him then why wasnt he going to court to see baby P, meaning cafcass would also have been visiting the house and may well have seen something the social workers didnt.

He cant demand answers if he has done nothing himself to stop this. I also believe all the neighbours who saw Baby P being abused and did nothing need to take a long hard look at their consciences. I read one report where a neighbour admitted seeing him eating dog dirt out of the garden No And someones uncle was on the TV last night saying his niece had lived there and seen the boy being abused, he was describing vile things they were doing to his genitalia in order to see how much he cried. Why the hell did this niece, who ever she is, wait until now to say something, according to the uncle she moved out months ago. Evil or Very Mad

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:20 pm

There are a lot of people who should feel ashamed of themselves for staying silent when they knew abuse was taking place. What's the point in them talking to the media now, they should have done their talking to the relevant authorities at the time, then maybe, just maybe the baby would still be alive. I too was wondering how the biological dad fitted into the picture. Where was he for 17months?
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:22 am

I didnt know the other man was the boyfriend's brother. Some family they are Evil or Very Mad . That poor little scrap. All three of them should be sterlised to make sure they never have any children of their own. I'd do it myself with a rusty breadknife. Twisted Evil
Sally
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1215
Registration date : 2008-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:18 am

Lou wrote:

I read one report where a neighbour admitted seeing him eating dog dirt out of the garden No And someones uncle was on the TV last night saying his niece had lived there and seen the boy being abused, he was describing vile things they were doing to his genitalia in order to see how much he cried. Why the hell did this niece, who ever she is, wait until now to say something, according to the uncle she moved out months ago. Evil or Very Mad

I just don't understand anyone who witnessed that and didn't lift a finger to help. I'd report a neighbour in a heartbeat if I thought a little child was being harmed. I'd do it if I thought an animal was being treated cruelly, never mind a child. I thought there was a law to punish those who see this kind of thing but don't do anything to help.
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:16 am

No, unfortunately its the other way around, there's no law to compel anyone to help.

I do believe its the opposite is some European countries, I'm sure I read that in France if you come across an accident or someone lying injured you must help them by law. In this country you can walk away with only your conscience to bother you Sad

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:27 am

I've been in tears about this. The last social worker to see the baby alive said hello to him and got a big smile in return. Sitting there with his broken back, broken ribs and missing fingernails and he could still smile. He just wanted to be loved, the poor little soul. Crying or Very sad
Sally
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1215
Registration date : 2008-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:06 am

I know how you feel. It's heartbreaking from beginning to end. What's angered me the most is the amount of people who knew of the abuse, and still it went on.
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:21 am

Three senior figures from Haringey Council have lost their jobs. Two have quit and one has been removed. At last, a few crumbs of "justice" for baby P. Shame on all three of them.
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:05 pm

What annoys me is that the ones that are suspended are on full pay. If anyone else in a bog standard job made a monumental cockup that didnt even result in a death, but just resulted in a company loosing money, then they'd be out on their ear, no pay no redundancy or anything.

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:25 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean Lou and it doesn't seem right. What struck me were the photos of Liz Santry. She looks like a kind, caring grandma type of person. I know looks can be deceptive, but I wish she'd tried harder for that little boy.
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:04 pm

I almost cheered when I heard Sharon Shoesmith, the Head of Childrens Services, had been sacked. She's the arrogant cow who, when all this came out, refused to apologise and produced pie charts to prove how well her department was doing. She should have had the decency to resign, but I'll settle for a sacking. Just hope she doesn't walk into another well-paid post where vulnerable people are depending on her. No
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:02 pm

So Sharon Shoesmith has been properly sacked this time. Don't know what that's about, they already said that a week ago. But she's not getting any pay-off or compensation, so commonsense prevails.
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:55 am

She doesn't deserve any pay or compensation.If she'd done her job properly, that little boy would be alive today.
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:06 am

I dont know why it's so hard to sack civil servants. If you make such a huge mistake you should go immediately whether you work for the public or private sector.

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Former children's services chief Sharon Shoesmith is considering an appeal after losing her High Court battle against being sacked following the death of Baby P.

A judge upheld a decision of Children's Secretary Ed Balls to remove her from her child safety role with Haringey Council in north London following a damning Ofsted report.

Mr Justice Foskett ruled the highly publicised move by Mr Balls in December 2008 "cannot be impugned on the grounds of unfairness".

The evidence before him was not strong enough to back up claims that Ms Shoesmith, 57, was being used as a scapegoat, and the Ofsted report had been "made to order" on behalf of the minister.

But the judge said he would not disguise the fact that he had reached his conclusions "with a lurking sense of unease".

Ms Shoesmith, who had been earning 130,000 a year, said her career had been ruined by a media witch-hunt, political pressure and a "flagrant breach of the rules of natural justice".

The judge said it was "too simplistic" to suggest Mr Balls had been driven by "party politics" or had been improperly influenced by media pressure.

Lawyers for Ms Shoesmith expressed "disappointment" with the court's decision and said an appeal was now under consideration.

I'm quite amazed that Shoesmith lost the case. In the UK today, nobody is ever held accountable, even if they're being paid 130,000 to do a job. I hope her appeal fails too but, again, it's in keeping with 21st century Britain. She should be so ashamed of her part in this that she stays away from the limelight instead of even bringing this case in the first place.

Evil or Very Mad
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Even if she thought she was legally entitled to her job, morally she should have hung her head in shame. If that'd been me I don't think I could leave the house again knowing the pain that baby went through.

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content