Ricky Gervais

Go down

Ricky Gervais

Post by HiJo on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:49 am

Ricky Gervais won't get married - because he can afford to buy his own toasters. The comedian - who has been with partner Jane Fallon for 26 years - doesn't see any point in tying the knot as he is content with his relationship the way it is. He said: "There's no point. We've got our wills in order, we share everything, we've got everything in both our names, so it's like we're already married, really.

"There just doesn't seem to be any point really. I can afford a toaster myself now."

The 'Office' star also ruled out having children - because he doesn't want to share his money.

He joked: "We decided not to have children for various reasons. One is, they're spongers! It's my money! I love my brother and sister's kids, but they're their responsibility. I can play with them and then walk away.

"I'd adopt but only if he's a 25-year-old lawyer who has already paid his way!"

He's very honest, isn't he? Why should he get married and have children just because it's what people usually do?

But, I don't know if it's a woman thing, but to me marriage is the big commitment, far bigger than what Ricky Gervais has with his partner. Despite lasting 25 years (a lot longer than a lot of marriages) there's still something temporary about it to me. Which is silly, either one of them could run off with somebody else whether they're married or not.
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ricky Gervais

Post by Lou on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:12 pm

I used to thing marriage was a commitment, but not any more, life has made me cynical I guess.

But good on him for seeing his limitations and admitting that the responsibility of children would be too much. Although I'm inclined to think that either he or his girlfriend are unable to have children and its their way of deflecting questions about it.

My Review Blog

Sam's Story
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:20 pm

I was really surprised that he has been with his partner for 26 years. I would have said he was one for the ladies. I have been with my husband for 22 years and things are good. I think there's a lot of luck attached to making a relationship work.

Firstly, being in the right place at the right time, in order to meet the person .
Secondly, recognising that the person may to turn out to be someone special and being open to that,(cynical people take note).
Thirdly, protecting and nurturing what you have together, ignoring negative influences. (ok this isn't all down to luck).
Then just leave the rest to nature, and just grow old and wrinkly together. It works for us.
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: