More complaints for EE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More complaints for EE

Post by Lou on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:44 pm

The Sun wrote:EASTENDERS’ controversial plot about a paedophile’s relationship with his 15-year-old step-daughter has already provoked scores of complaints from viewers.

Bianca Jackson’s (Patsy Palmer) creepy boyfriend Tony King (Chris Coghill) arrived on Albert Square in last Friday’s episode after serving a 12-month stint in jail.

Viewers saw him prey on his 15-year-old step-daughter Whitney Dean (Shona McGarty) – who he groomed before going to prison – and the two kissed and fell onto the teen’s bed as the episode ended.

Telly watchdog Ofcom has already received about 70 complaints from the public since Tony’s arrival on Friday.

They questioned the scenes being shown before the watershed and reacted angrily to the soap’s portrayal of the relationship, which shows the schoolgirl consenting to a sexual relationship with her step-dad.

In this week’s episodes the pair’s “romance” has continued – with Tony telling Whitney: "You look just like that same 12-year-old girl I fell in love with."

Today a BBC spokesman said: “This is a difficult and challenging storyline, but one which keeps with the tradition of the show for tackling difficult social issues such as domestic abuse and mental health in the past."

He added: “All the content on screen adheres to the BBC's editorial guidelines.”
It was inevitable that there would be complaints. And yes people have the right to, but why dont they use the off button as well?
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: More complaints for EE

Post by HiJo on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:49 pm

I agree with you, complaints were inevitable. But anyone who watched EE, or even just read about it in the papers, knew this storyline was coming up. Unless the complaints were about something specific, or even just the fact that it's really post-watershed material. Which it is, in my opinion.
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:53 pm

It is really, and tbh quite a lot of EE stuff does walk a thin line (sex on desks, in toilets, drug taking etc). It seems to me they'd be better off moving it to 9pm, then they could tackle all the issues they want with no comeback.
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top