Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Court fight over disabled baby

4 posters

Go down

Court fight over disabled baby Empty Court fight over disabled baby

Post by HiJo Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:39 pm

What a sad tale this is

The High Court is due to hear the heartbreaking case of a child known as Baby RB. He and his family cannot be named for legal reasons.

Baby RB was born last year with a rare neuromuscular condition which means he relies on a ventilator to survive. His doting parents have been with him since his birth, although they have had an amicable separation from one another.

Whilst both parents clearly adore their son, they have different opinions on what would be the best course of action for him.

The mother supports the hospital's judgment that as Baby RB cannot move or breathe on his own, his quality of life would be so poor that the kindest option would be to withdraw treatment and allow him to die.

However the father argues that his son is able to see, hear and recognise his parents. He also plays with toys and enjoys listening to books and stories. Whilst he will never recover from his disability, further treatment would enable him to be cared for at home.

The court has ordered a fresh medical assessment to confirm the father's assertions.

The High Court has ruled on similar cases in the past where the parents of a severely disabled child have disagreed with the hospital's decision to cease treatment, but it is rare for the parents to be fighting each other over the life of their child. If the court rules in favour of the mother and the hospital, it will be the first time it has gone against the wishes of a parent where the child does not have brain damage.

Whatever the court decides, one of Baby RB's parents will have to accept an outcome they desperately did not want. Either having their child's life ended against their wishes or watching as their son struggles through life trapped in his own body.

Which parent is right, and what would your choice be if you were in this tragic situation?

What a terrible situation to find yourself in. It's obvious they both love that little boy to bits. :C
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Court fight over disabled baby Empty Re: Court fight over disabled baby

Post by Lou Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:12 am

What an awful situation to be in. I dont know what I would do, but looking at it from the outside if I knew my child could see, hear and play, then I don't think I could agree with the hospital.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:45 am

Me n the husband were just talking about this case yesterday. I think the baby should be kept alive as there is some quality of life, however my husband strongly disagrees and thinks it would be kinder to let the baby go.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:06 am

I think they should take him off life support and let God decide. But having said that, if he was mine I'd fight tooth and nail to keep him on it. Crying or Very sad
Sally
Sally
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1215
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:31 pm

So Dad's given up the fight. They both want to be left alone by the media now, to spend what little time they have left with their precious baby.

It's an ill-divided world, isn't it? The likes of baby Peter, born healthy only to be murdered by his dysfunctional family. Then there's this one, Baby RB, who would probably have had a lovely life if he'd only had the chance to live it. Crying or Very sad
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:41 am

I was thinking exactly the same thing Jo. Life can be so cruel.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:13 pm

According to the papers, the baby's life support was switched off on Friday. His mummy was cuddling him when he died. Crying or Very sad
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:02 am

Such a shame, but at least he's at peace now.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:23 pm

It was quite horrifying to find out that he couldn't give a baby's usual signal of being in pain. They only knew he was hurting when he started to sweat and turn grey. How absolutely terrible for everyone concerned. It must be a relief to know the poor little soul is out of his misery now. I hope his mum and dad are going to be all right.
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:40 am

I could cry just reading that. Crying or Very sad
Sally
Sally