Lets Talk UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

85 year old woman found dead

3 posters

Go down

85 year old woman  found dead Empty 85 year old woman found dead

Post by lulu Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:24 pm

This lady was found dead in her flat after 5 years. Nobody missed her, nobody cared. Whatever happened to community? There's an elderly lady who lives near me and we often stop for a chat as we walk our dogs. A few months ago I was going to work and met her at the end of our road. This was 1.30pm, and she was so pleased to see me. She'd had a phone call that morning to say she was a great-grandmother, and I was the first person she'd seen to tell the good news. How sad is that?
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

85 year old woman  found dead Empty Re: 85 year old woman found dead

Post by Lou Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:42 pm

Sad Oh how sad (about the lady who died, not your neighbour thinking of you first), I can see how it can happen though. People rush from place to place and then lock their door. And since women are expected to be out at work too, and are look on as failures if they decide to be a SAHM and not work, there's no one home during the day to keep the community spirit going.
Lou
Lou
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 5869
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.lcphotos.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:18 pm

I can't decide about this. Yes, it's dreadfully sad that nobody noticed this lady was missing. But from what I read, she had no family at all and no close friends through choice. She was friendly enough, exchanging a word with her neighbours when she saw them, but she kept them at arm's length. She was very independent and probably would have resented someone checking up on her. It's hard, but what can you do if older people really don't want to be kept tabs on? No
HiJo
HiJo
Wise Sage
Wise Sage

Number of posts : 3997
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by lulu Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Yeah I understand that some people like to be insular. But 5 years and nobody knows you've died? My worst nightmare would be to end up in a care home, but this comes a close second.
lulu
lulu
Elder Council
Elder Council

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by HiJo Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Yes I agree Lulu. It's my nightmare too. Crying or Very sad
HiJo
HiJo